Thursday, September 20, 2012

Our Little School at Home: HOD Rev. to Rev.- Unit 7

The weeks pass too quickly! Joshua completed another unit of Rev to Rev. I looked at him and said, "Do you realize that you are one fifth of the way through your school year? Pretty amazing, right?" He gave a little grin.

Even when it is not required in the guide, I expect Joshua to give an oral narration. Mainly, I do this because I discovered in years past that he was not reading unless there was some form of accountability. Today he learned about Olaudah Equiano from Nigeria who purchased his own freedom. During his narration, he compared Equiano to Amos Fortune whom we read about during Storytime several weeks ago. I love that he has opportunity to make and is making all those kinds of connections!

He also made an origami rigger ship and copied his Haiku about a hurricane onto it. He did mention that the origami was way too easy. I blame HOD. Several years ago, HOD assigned origami & Joshua was hooked. He checked books out of the library, bought origami paper & has been developing quite a talent for the art. As for the poem, I will paste it at the end of this post. :)

Joshua is still enjoying Music Appreciation. I think that his piano practice has taken on new energy as he studies the great composers! Now I need to find a piano teacher who can teach him beyond my meager abilities.

Overall, I am so thankful for the incredible progress Joshua is making in school. I am also thankful for how easily he can complete (most) activities on his own. This week I have been suffering with a terrible migraine...four days and counting. We never could have completed school successfully if it weren't for his diligence and independence!!

Joshua's HAIKU:

Raging at the beach
Across the seas, out of reach
Raining waves go on.

1 comment: